Ditidaht First Nation Administrator
Employment Opportunity as Ditidaht First Nation Administrator
Ditidaht First Nation (DFN) is currently recruiting for the position of Administrator to provide overall leadership in administration, operations, human resources, planning and financial management.
Located at the north end of Nitinat Lake in one of the most beautiful areas on Vancouver Island, Balaats’adt Village is the main community of the diitiid7aa7tx and serves as its administrative centre. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Administrator who enjoys working with people and living close to nature and wants to take advantage of the many outdoor activities the area has to offer. Balaats’adt is situated in a pristine wilderness area and is one of the entry points for the world renowned West Coast Trail.
The Ditidaht First Nation Administrator’s role includes the following responsibilities
- Ensures overall functioning of DFN programs and infrastructure to meet the needs of its membership and the long and short-term strategic goals of the Nation.
- Provides leadership and initiative in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of all programs and services through ongoing review, providing commentary on the achievement of goals and objectives, and making recommendations to Chief and Council.
- Co-ordinates and supports a collegial, multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Fosters a customer-service orientation with procedures and processes that ensure consistent, effective and respectful service delivery.
- Ensures workplace safety, including physical and mental well-being of all staff.
- Contributes to a learning culture by supporting staff to acquire skills and improve performance.
- Manages all aspects of human resources, including recruitment, retention and performance development.
- Exercises and models diplomacy and respectful communications.
- Liaises between Program Managers/Directors and Leadership.
- Oversees communications between DFN organization and community members
- Chairs Council meetings, as required, and ensures relevant information is distributed in a timely manner.
- Assists in the development and implementation of comprehensive business plans, annual objectives and organizational effectiveness strategies for the Ditidaht First Nation’s Programs.
- Proactively seeks forms of funding for programs and develops alternative sources of revenues and increases revenues related to existing programs and services.
- Works with the Chief Financial Officer and Program Managers in the development, administration and monitoring of the programs’ approved budgets.
- Ensures coordination across DFN programs, member committees, the Ditidaht Community School, Nuu-chah-nulth programs and other relevant agencies and groups.
- Works in close collaboration with the Ditidaht Economic Development Corporation to ensure a cohesive, coordinated approach to economic development activities.
- Develops and maintains positive, collaborative relations with other First Nations, Provincial and Federal Ministries, municipal and regional governments, Vancouver Island and Aboriginal Health Authorities, educational institutions and business associations.
Education, experience and qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or equivalent education or experience
- Relevant experience working with First Nations Communities
- Strong human resource management skills
- Experience in creating and implementing plans for viable businesses that operate profitably
- Strong working knowledge of accounting and budgets
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (particularly MS Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Clear criminal record check
- Valid driver’s licence
Hours of Work
- 8:30 – 4:30 Monday to Friday, at least 4 days a week at Balaats’adt.
- Travel outside of the community regularly required for meetings.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary will be commensurate depending on qualifications
- Company Vehicle
- Accommodation at or near Balaats’adt
Anticipated Start Date
As soon as possible